Search This Blog

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Spain Village from Afar

I have mentioned this to a few people, so I may as well bring everyone up to speed.

My area isn't known for very much. Sure Mie prefecture may have some special spots, importnat people, and interesting culture, but little Shima is a bit more humble. We have aosa (see Shima Mascots post), ama (ocean women - a topic for another time), lots of beaches, lovely scenery, and we are also at the end of the train line. So what is our major claim to fame? What put us on the map???

~Spain Village~

That is right, Spain Village! Where you can find all the magic of Spain without leaving Japan. Where Don Quixote (now transformed into an animal mascot along with other characters from Miguel de Cervantes' novel) takes you on a tour of flamenco dancers and roller coasters. People from nearby prefectures only know and come to Shima in order to visit Spain Village. There are special buses from our main station just for Spain Village visitors. People can enjoy the theme park, restaurants  the spa, and the main hotel.

Why Spain? Well, I'm not entirely sure myself. Maybe because Spain is so foreign and interesting to the Japanese. Maybe because Japan did so much trading with the Spanish, Dutch, and Portugese in its history. Maybe because Spain is so colorful and cultural. Or Maybe because one of Shima's sister cities is Valencia, Spain. Maybe they caught a deal. Who knows? It is here now, though, and open (what seems to be) all year round.

I plan on going there myself, and giving a fuller report, but I was advised to wait until a little later in the summer when ticket prices go down. Until then, I am content in just seeing all of the advertisements around town and periodically running into and or being mistaken for the Spanish performers who live and work there. Lovely people, and they are all in great shape, but I haven't quite plucked up the courage to go talk with them yet. I don't want to just walk up to them in the freezer section like a creeper, "Excuse me, are you Spanish? You look Spanish. Want to be friends? Heheheheh." So, for now, I'll wait.


Don Quixote (dog character head on left) and Dores (cat character head on right)
greet arrivals Shima's Ugata train station with the words
"Welcome to Shima Spain Village!"
They actually have a very good English website, which you can easily find here. The Japanese version, for those bold enough to try it, can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment