Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

音巴: The ICU Wadaiko Spring/Graduation Concert of 2013

I really need to write this all down now before I forget!


Right before the Californian's semester aborad was over,
We all gathered fora group picture and presents. The
OYR rangers received color specific watches and towels.
Go, Wadaiko, Go!
Two years ago, when I was here for study abroad, I joined the most intense club in my life: the ICU Wadaiko Club. They held practice all year, 18 hours a week usually, with two major concerts a year, and summer camp. I feel like I wrote a lot about them in my last blog, so feel free to check that out for some background information. At the end of my study abroad time (which wasn't supposed to be the end in reality, but that is how life worked out), our major spring concert was cancelled! There is a whole sob story there, but for the next two years I felt cheated because I never got to perform that final concert and show the seniors that everything they had taught us and worked for could be so wonderful in the end. While I was still in Wyoming, I met up with Shunyo, the club president during my Tokyo time to catch up and apologize and watch the concert dvd from last year (when he was a senior). He says that his arms are a bit smaller now that he doesn't play taiko as much as he used to, but he's still the loud, joyful, courteous Shunyo I knew from before! Seeing him made me really miss the camaraderie that I felt with the Wadaiko group back then.


The poster for the show this year.
The title 音巴 (Otonoha) is an artistic
reference to the sound of the drums.
"Oto" is sound or music and "noha" or
"tomoe" is the large comma pater popular
in Japanese traditional symbols and flags.
After I was hired with interac, they said that they wanted us to come early to train before going out to our assignments. Luckily, all my paperwork filled nicely and my passport arrived about a week before a week BEFORE training, so I was able to arrive extra early to Tokyo and lurk around my old stomping grounds. Those of you who know about Japan from my blogs may remember that universities tend to have all of March off as Spring Break. If the school was out of session and the students mostly gone on holiday, then my trip might seem worthless. Why arrive so early to Tokyo? To see the Wadaiko kids perform their spring concert of course!! Everyone else may be on break, but not my club members! The students I met as sophomores were seniors now, so this would be their swan song as Wadaiko members! One of the seniors from my time was also playing in the concert because she was unable to do so during her year. I wanted to cheer them on, but ended up crying during the first song....and the second and third song....and the encoure. They were so good! I just wanted to bust seeing how much they had all developed since I was gone. They were leading the pack now.

Surprisingly enough  though, none of them knew I was coming, which helped lend some excitement to my arrival, but I guess because I didn't reserve a ticket ahead of time, they thought I was just liking the event, not committing to it.


Ma-kun, San-chan, Miki, Mao, Myself, and Kai after the
noon concert in Asakusa! Mao still has her bachi sticks
in her apron pocket.
Afterward the concert, I got some surprises, too. I saw big and burly Kai (a student from Wittenberg who told me to come to ICU) out in the lobby, but when I went over to talk to him who else was standing to his left than SATOSHI!! My Spring Concert Leader! My hero and the one who introduced me to Thai fisherman's pants!! The super stoic and ever cool Satoshi! And Kai, too. It might not have been 100% kosher, but I gave Satoshi a massive hug - I owed this guy so much of my Wadaiko training. He was very much the Yoda/Mr. Miyagi of our club at the time, or at least in my mind, and when he was angry or upset with us, I woud silently cry over my car tire during practice. He was that powerful. 


Ma-kun leading the converstion and making jokes?!
He has totally grown up since I saw him last. Besides that,
he will be studying chemical engineering of pastics in university soon!
San-chan (who is in his 30's, but who I will always speak informally with and see as Winnie the Pooh from the club's night out one Halloween) was also tucked away in the crowd, and some of the other OB and OG (Old Boys and Old Girls - former club members)! Miki's mother, aunt, and cousin were there too!! At first, I couldn't exactly remember why, but I pointed out Miki's mom to Rei and said, "Isn't she really familiar? She doesn't belong to ICU, but I swear that I know her from my time here." When we walked back to the front row, I realized it was her; mommas always cheer their kids on from the front! She recognized me right away and we chatted in Japanese, talking about Miki, my job, her visiting from Kamakura just to see the shows (I think she stayed for both performances), and it felt so good to see her there! *Side Note* The night that I left Tokyo, Miki called her mother and told her I was going, and Momma-san told me to be careful and to remember that I could always come visit them. AAAWWWW!!! *End Side Note* Finally, the performers were all out and about, but needed to be rushed off and set up for the next show. As they all scurried away to prepare, Kai and I wondered around the streets of Asakusa, but that can have its own story later.


This was made by Kaoru for the graduating 2013 students in the club.
The top reads "Wadaiko Squadron Otonoha 13!!!"
From left to right: Ocho, Anna, Rieko, Takami, Miki, Eri, Koji, Rei-chan, Hasshi, Ma-kun
Reunited Roommates!

Anna is trying to guess the new boyfriend of
one of the younger girl. She just found out that they were
even dating that night! 
I thought that show would be the end of my time with the Taiko-ers, but as I was sitting at a hanami (familiar word, right?) with Rei, Miki showed up on her bike with Mao (my drumming partner for hanamori two years prior) and invite me to the Wadaiko party that night. How great is that?! Phenomenal! Except, I forgot what time we were supposed to meet. And where. And I didn't have their phone numbers. Or a Japanese phone. So I dashed off to Kichijoji and waited in a Starbucks (free wifi!) and facebooked them until I finally got the info. The food and drink was great, as expected, but the best part was sitting with all of the members again, being filled in on the news ("So and so has a boyfriend?! Rei-chan is going to be a policeman?! You got into grad school?!"), seeing how much they had grown up (especially Ma-kun!!). Looking at their photos was nice, but I felt like a ghost who could see, but never be with, the group. That night I was there! Fully aware of what was going on, as if that was the review party for my concert. The seniors were given photos, notebooks filled with messages, and another present, too, I think. They all gave 10-15 minute speeches during which, (can you guess?) I cried. 三橋先生 laughed at some of the comments; she has watched us all and the club grow over the past 20 years. She makes me think that just like Budo, this could be something that doesn't really end for me. I can come back to it ask long as I keep that same drive to create a powerful, beautiful, meaningful sound.
Sensei with some of the newer girls.

My evening with the Wadaiko Club was cut short, but maybe I wasn't supposed to stay the whole way through. It wasn't my party, it was their's. All the effort that they put forth for this performance, they deserved the time with each other. I'm thankful that they welcomed me back in so quickly and warmly, but after next year, none of them will really know who I am. It won't be my group anymore.

If anyone is interested, here is their Facebook site for the concert this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment