Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The Kaji-sans of Keyaki Ryo

At first, I was a little disappointed that I wouldn't be having a host family like some students who go abroad, but not only did I have a wonderful roommate, dorm mates, and friends, but I also had the Kaji-sans!! When I went back to visit ICU in March, two of my need to see people were the Kaji's, and this is why.

Momma Kaji-san hasn't changed a bit since I last saw her. Rei and Mr. Kaji took
pictures of us, and we seem to be looking up for her photo here.
Every dorm, to my knowledge, at ICU had dorm parents who monitored who came into and left the dorm, spruced up the garden and lobby's, manned the dorm phones, received packages on behalf of the students, and helped anyone who became sick in the infirmary room. It took me a long time to decide just how to address my dorm parents, but Japanese has so many evasive tendencies that the issue never really came up. In my old blog, I called Mrs. Kaji "House Mom" and helped her with English and watched over her bonsai tree. She was like a Kanga and we were her Roos, but you could see sometimes that we were disappointing her by being too noisy after hours or if we left our things all about the lobby. However, her English was rather good, and she would always give me treats, presents, and smiles. Mr. Kaji, on the other hand was like Mr. Miyagi to me. He looked really similar to the famous karate film teacher, but he also spoke very little (at least very little to me), so there was that element of aloofness and mystery. I would see him behind the front desk at almost all times, unless he was working in the garden or trying to fix something in one of the kitchens. When I found the gecko in our kitchen, I learned the word so that I could tell him about it, but after I informed him of the critter, I got nervous and left. Mr. Kaji's English wasn't so great, and he mutters when he speaks, so my Japanese wasn't ready to fully understand him.

However, the first day I went back to visit ICU in March 2013, he was still there behind the desk and recognized me! We spent the next hour talking in Japanese; I informed him of everything I had been up to and he invited me to try and come back tomorrow to the open house so that I could roam the halls of the dorm again. However, that open house day was the Wadaiko concert, so I had to decline. Then, he tried to think of all of the students who were still in the dorms that I would know and call them up so we could spend time together. I had already seen Mika and Rei, and the Wadaiko kids would be the next day, so he ran out of friends for me, but I thought ti was great that he tried to reunite me with them!  In my entire time at ICU, I don't think I talked as much to him as I did on that day. I told him that I would come back sometime that weekend to see his wife and he thanked me with lots of polite bows!! He is so very good at bowing!

When I did come back on Sunday, I was headed toward Keyaki, when I hear a "Zaitooonnn!" from across the street. It was the Kaji-sans out for a stroll! I was so flustered that I forgot everything I wanted to say. They looked so similar that it was like I hadn't left. For some reason I could speak Japanese with Mrs. Kaji because I was so used to being her English buddy that none of my words could help me. Rei and Mr. Kaji came in for the save, since I had already told them everything I was up too. She gave me a big smile and wished us a pleasant hanami as she and Mr. Kaji finished their walk.

I wonder if I return to Keiyaki in another 8 years for the 10-year reunion if they will still be guarding the dorm. I'll have to wait and see. In the meantime, I have their email now, so I can keep in touch from all the way in Mie!

No comments:

Post a Comment